Friday, November 26, 2010

KYOTO Tenryu-ji Temple

Bikes were the perfect way to see the city, getting from one temple to another and a true sense of life in Kyoto.  As a rider at home, I’m generally decked with helmet, gloves and proper reflective gear and a pretty groovy bike with plenty of gears.  Though rental bikes were pretty cush since my buddies always chose a more deluxe model for me ~ thank goodness.  While I didn’t complain, in my head and under my breath I was grateful to make it through each day without too much damage to my body…or ego. 



Rickshaw drivers have tremendous quad and glute power!
Arrived at Tenryu-ji with 30 minutes to spend on these fabulous grounds.


My special talent is in making people disappear. Would you believe there were actually hundreds at this Temple?  My powers at work...












The light was perfect for capturing the landscape




Happy to make Tenryu-ji my last Temple; leaving Kyoto and Japan on a high note.





Confessing to Sony, I am glad to be pushed and that they didn’t alter or take into consideration whether I cared to ride 7.5 miles to the other side of town to see a bridge or this temple. It was a great ride through town, a bamboo forest, small fields and gardens and the piece de resistance of temples:  Tenryu-ji.  Spectacular colors.  It was worth the ride. 


ALL of it was. Every bit of the experience and yes, even the dodging of traffic. And my screaming “SUMI MASEN,” or "WHOA."  Every once in awhile I'd get a funny response from Japanese chuckling at my screaming. 



Leo, Sony, Reiko and I


No comments:

Post a Comment