Friday, November 12, 2010

Kuluk Gallery





Stepping into Kuluk Gallery is a collectors treasure trove of Indonesian antiquities varying from textiles, to dolls, stone carvings, original copper batik design stamps, wedding headdresses , jewelry, wood statues and so on.  Owner, Donna Lum is from Oahu though has lived in Bali for upwards to twelve years. 








Marveling at the ring she was wearing ~ colorful, vibrant, brilliant ~ our conversation began.  Donna said she makes the diachronic glass pieces with Balinese style settings. I couldn’t take my eyes off that ring!  Her work is incredibly eye catching, unique and SPARKLY!  




I hadn’t intended to stay but with her encouragement, this was a perfect day to look through her stock she was preparing for a show at Cane Haul Road, Honolulu the Saturday before Thanksgiving, if you’re in the neighborhood.   For the next couple of hours, we chit chatted and laughed while I drooled over every new style she brought out. It was a ton of fun!!  I’ll show you a couple things.  And NO, I’m not keeping it all!  Some of you may get them as gifts!!!






 Her assistants, Nyoman and Ketut (pictured) were so patient with me as I continued to add to my own stash of jewels.





Disappointed we didn’t meet sooner or we might have gotten into some serious trouble together!  Donna took me to lunch at one of her favorites, a well know establishment in Ubud for 31 years: Nomad, where the food and service was outstanding!  Every item was artistically presented, wonderfully prepared, perfectly grilled, and scrumptious.

NOMAD


fried spinach leaves

tumeric rice over Balinese rice

beef and vegetable kebab with
banana leaf wrapped garlic mashed potatoes

tapas style appetizers: spring roll, lemongrass chicken,
pork, chicken skewers and smoked chicken

Donna and Agung

Agung
Nomad, Ubud

Donna, Agung and I 

Prasanti
Donna was kind enough to answer questions about foods, insect bites, and seeking medical care.  She suggested where and what dishes to try, Balsem and Bokashi oil for nagging bites, and a clinic to visit for any medical concerns.  What a lifesaver;  THANK YOU, DONNA!


2 comments:

  1. don't spend all you're money in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? Myrna jewelry shopping? Say it isn't so! :-) Kidding. Love your taste!
    And all that food? I am HUNGRY now!!

    ReplyDelete