Thursday, November 18, 2010

Kyoto Bound

BALI, TAIPEI, KYOTO

Leaving Frog Song was bittersweet.  While new adventures awaited, the welcoming warmth of the Balinese, the tranquility and calm of the jungle, the lacsidaisical rhythm and daily routine of wrapping myself in a sarong, enjoying papaya, pineapple, bananas and mango for breakfast, dipping into the pool, reading and writing and so on.

Last night’s family gathering at the Suana compound was a perfect send off.  It’s time to go; weary of my own company!

After weeks of planning, when Leo and Sony came through baggage claim I breathed a deep sigh of relief that my final portion of months of travel were going to be spent with two very well traveled mates. 

I shuddered as Wayan through my heavy
suitcase over his shoulders.

Bali from above






My passport name and ticket name didn't match!  After an hour of waiting at the ticket counter and several ticket agents, a supervisor and a corporate call we amended the ticket name (my middle name was left off) which didn't cost me a new ticket.
Whew...

on the train to Kyoto with Leo

Sony and Leo meet the Flats

Ka-wa- ee!!

ANA Hotel lobby waterfall garden

point and choose menu ~ good thing Sony had a sense of
what she was ordering!

wrapped and fried edamame

what we thought might be tonkatsu was in fact
a very large potato croquette

assorted fish with daikon, tomatoes, etc.

can we have this dressing
for this salad??

yakisoba

We stopped into a 7-11 and look what is on the hot shelf ~





Okay, so I get that when you're in a foreign country that everything will be in the native language.  Usually not an issue but written Japanese gives me no indication of what's what.  Pictures help but not always a guarantee.  For my first night in Kyoto, after a night in Taipei with no sleep after a five hour flight, then another two+ hours to Kyoto it was good to walk around to get acclimated as soon as possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment