Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Family Affair

THE SUANA FAMILY COMPOUND

This began as a simple question to Wayan as to where the best Babi Guleng can be purchased.  It's a a signature meal of Bali having been suggested by several people that I try.  So Wayan decided as a send off he would prepare a meal for me at his family compound. 

What I mean by compound is that several families reside within the walls of their property in several buildings. Generally there sleeping quarters, a kitchen, a "bathroom" and in the middle of the courtyard, if you will, is an open covered structure where special gatherings and events occur.  This was to be my place of honor, on the green felt like padding while everyone else sat on the tiled floor.  Karya was kind enough to sit with me so I didn't feel awkward sort in a fishbowl. 

welcome drink of green coconut with chips!

Kadet, Topo and Karya

Karya as we toast!

Wayan also joined us on the green carpet!

Topo and Wayan's older son...whose name escapes me.


Nik, a cousin and Wayan's 2nd sister with Karya

Papa Suana's wife, mother of Komang and Topo my nightly buddies

their guard dog

know what this is???

 Things were quiet and little giggly...then I brought out the iPad and and my camera and everyone came alive.

Wayan's first sister

Wayan, Nik and the table was prepared and ready to eat!

Babi Glueng, roast suckling pig

chili peppers, green beans and more Babi Guleng

Wayan's uncle

more family 

fast becoming the gamalan expert!



peeled dragon fruit on top, this was my dessert! 

Mother and son



What an honor to meet all of Wayan's family, to be honored in this special way and to be welcomed into their family home!

1 comment:

  1. What a special honor indeed! Not only to be invited into Wayan's family compound but also a feast of babi guling.

    ReplyDelete